Friday, April 13, 2007

Thing 19 -- Web 2.0 Tools

I tried out Pageflakes (#1 in the category of Start Page). I think it is COOL! I have added the following "flakes" to my start page: CNN, TV Series schedule, World Clock, a To Do list, photos on Santorini that people have posted to Flickr, Potcast, Stock Portfolio, Weather Channel showing the weather in both College Park and Leesburg, a flake from my Gmail account to show my new emails, Events and maps in DC area based on the categories I specified, and an automatic search in Amazon on books about cooking (it just shows new titles on cooking randomly)
All of these!! on my start page!!!

Although right now the kind of flakes that you can add are limited, but I immediately think that this would be something that our patrons could use. Imagine, we can have flakes on book clubs, online book discussion live chat, story time events, automated search in HIP on the terms the users specified, online book discussion forum, everything about LCPL... Make them "flakes" that people can add to their start page.

Check out the hottest Flakes!! Right now people can only submit ideas on flakes and the developers are the ones who can create them. But maybe one day they'll make it easy enough that everyone can create their own flake (like a widget, I think essentially the widgets are what the flakes are).

No comments: