Thursday, February 12, 2009

Code4Lib - a nonprogrammer's adventure into the programming world

I am extremely fortunate to have the opportunity of attending the 2009 Code4Lib Conference Feb. 23-26 in Providence, RI. Many thanks to the Conference host Brown University (and last year's host Oregan State University) for their generosity for making this happen.

Having observed the Code4Lib group for more than an year, I am just so excited that I will get to meet some of the developers in person and attend their talks on different wonderful technologies projects. Never a programmer myself, this will be my adventure into the programming world in the library community.

I have to admit that I am a bit nervous about being probably the only person at the conference who doesn't really speak... codes. Instead of improving programming skills that don't really exist in me, my goal instead is to get an in-depth understanding of these projects from a library system administrator's perspective. I'm hoping to learn what we (system librarians) can contribute, and how we can work with developers/programmers to make a project successful. Hopefully my small goal still makes sense at the end of each day. :)

So Providence, here I come.

No comments: